Sunday, November 3, 2013

10 places you want to go but didn't know about... until now

Astana, Kazakhstan

The spectacularly and unexpectedly modern capital of Kazakhstan is definitely on my list.


That's a shopping mall. A shopping mall. There's a water park in the dome. I think Astana wants to be the next Dubai. It's certainly well on its way, judging from all the cranes.

The Maldives

Actually you probably know about this one. But this archipelago nation, peaking at only 8 feet above the Indian Ocean sea level, is probably the most beautiful country ever.


Actually, I'm gonna amend that: it is definitively the most beautiful country ever. The fact that this nation exists keeps me going some days. The fact that it might not exist if sea levels continue to rise depresses me beyond belief.

Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina

The bridge alone is worth a trip.



I feel like the Baltic countries are all unexpectedly beautiful, like have you seen Croatia? Or Bulgaria? Gorgeous.

Trolltunga, Norway

Any place with the word "troll" in its name has got to be a great time.


There are a lot of beautiful sites in Norway -- mostly fjords, but also Google the Atlantic Road sometime. Norway, being the land of some of my ancestors, is a must-see for me.

Phang Nga, Thailand

The sand of this beach is made from ground-up dreams and pixie dust.


This is Phang Nga bay, but the rest of this area is equally beautiful -- or so I can tell from Google Images.

Palau

If you're not into the flatness of the Maldives, Palau might be what you want.


Beaches aren't really all they're hacked up to be -- I think Palau looks like a grand old time.

Giant's Causeway, Ireland

I love rocky shores, and this is one of the most unique I think you'll ever see.



Ireland, another homeland of my ancestors, is usually noted for its rolling green hills, but I'd rather spend a day or two here.

Kakslauttanen Hotel, Finland

I can't get over how adorable this is.



I would go to Finland just to stay here.

Sorrento, Italy

I can not imagine a city more aesthetically ideal than Sorrento.


Italy, the third and final homeland of my ancestors, is one of my top must-see countries -- and this city is one of the reasons it ranks so highly.

Harbor Island, the Bahamas

And finally, a place that I have been too. It's as idyllic as it looks, I promise. Actually, more idyllic. This picture doesn't really capture the pink-tinted sand.


I'm actually 115% sure I know the guy who's riding horseback in the picture. I'm not even kidding, he jumped on the back of our golf cart when we were there (I was four or five at the time -- still remember this place really well) and hitched a ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment